Netball and Coronavirus (Covid19)
As we all know, we are going through a really hard time now with COVID-19 the new virus. Every action/training has stopped to prevent the virus from spreading. We are aware that the COVID-19 outbreak is a very fluid and rapidly changing situation.
In light of the government’s announcement on 16.03.2020 around Coronavirus (COVID-19), England Netball’s Health Advisory Group has reviewed the government guidance provided and has made the difficult decision to suspend netball activity across the country at all levels of the game at this time.
What measures are we taking?
The health and safety of our Netball Team is our main priority. This means we have to suspend all of our training sessions. During this interim period, we will continue to follow the government’s advice.
How to prevent Coronavirus (COVID-19)?
Please continue to refer to the advice given by Public Health England (PHE) to prevent the potential spreading of the virus:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds (To be sure you are washing your hands for 20 seconds you can sing “Happy Birthday” 2 times or just count to 20.)
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available. But be aware that hand sanitizer kills all forms of bacteria including the good ones!
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw it in the bin.
- wear a mask
- Avoid close contact with people and stay at 2 m distance every time it’s possible.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands.
- If you feel unwell, stay at home.
Remember this is just the basic stuff that you can do for more information visit the NHS website.
Work from home during social distancing times
Even if we can’t go to the gym or a to a netball class, it is still really important to be active and exercises from home. I know it sounds impossible while stuck at home, but you can try doing some exercise. You can find plenty of YouTube videos that can guide you through. It would be strongly recommended an hour or more every day.
We can use this break time to solve administrative problems like signing up for our club Gatwick United. We accept kids from 7 years old to seniors, because sport doesn’t have age. The link to register with Gatwick United is here.
We’ll be back to Netball training as soon as the lockdown is off!
Work from home on mental wellbeing
In these hard times, we need to remember to practice self-care and to take care of our self. Here are some ideas of what you can do:
- Read a book
- Cuddle your pet (if you have one)
Or just take a moment to forget about what is happening in the world, and take a moment for yourself.
We appreciate your patience and thank you for reading our blog post. Remember to take care, stay home and stay safe. You can also find us on:
Our site- https://www.gatwickunited.com/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/GatwickUnited
Twitter – https://twitter.com/GatwickUnited
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/GatwickUnitedSc/
You can also check out the England Netball official statement here.